Nestled amidst the hills of Meghalaya, Shillong is a picture perfect paradise for anyone looking for a tranquil escape from their daily routine. But, how do you reach this beautiful city and what can you do once you are there? Find out in this article as we explore the best ways to reach Shillong and the activities that make it such an attractive tourist destination.
Shillong is the capital city of Meghalaya, which is one of the Seven Sister States in north-eastern India. It is a relatively small city, but it is nonetheless a popular tourist destination because of its scenic beauty and pleasant weather.
It is well connected to major cities like Guwahati and Kolkata by air, road, and rail. The best way to reach Shillong is by air. There are regular flights from Guwahati to Shillong airport, which is located at a distance of about 30 km from the city center. Rail and road options are also available, but they are not as convenient as air travel.
The best time to visit Shillong is from October to June. The temperature during these months ranges from a minimum of 10°C to a maximum of 28°C. The weather is pleasant and perfect for outdoor activities.
There are many things to do in Shillong. Some of the most popular tourist attractions include:
1) Visit the Elephant Falls: The Elephant Falls is one of the most popular tourist spots in Shillong. It is located 12 km from the city center and can be reached by car or bus. The falls are named after an elephant that used to bathe in them.
2) See the Wards Lake: Wards Lake is a man-made lake located in the heart of Shillong. It is a beautiful spot for a stroll or picnicking. There are also boat rides available on the lake.
3) Take a hike to Sweet Falls: Sweet Falls is located 5 km from Shillong and can be reached by car or bus. The falls are named after their sweet-tasting water. They are surrounded by lush greenery and make for a beautiful picnic spot.
4) Go shopping at Police Bazaar: Police Bazaar is one of the busiest markets in Shillong. It sells everything from clothes to electronics to food items. You can bargain for good deals here.
5) Visit Don Bosco Museum: Don Bosco Museum is a great place to learn about the history and culture of Shillong. The museum is home to artifacts, photographs, and documents that tell the story of Shillong’s past.
6) Take a tour of Umiam Lake: Umiam Lake is a beautiful lake located 16 km from Shillong. It is an ideal spot for boating and fishing. You can also get some great views of the surrounding hills from here.
Here are some of the best places to visit in Shillong:
1. Elephant Falls: Elephant Falls is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Shillong. It is a three-tiered waterfall located in the heart of the city.
2. Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures: The Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures is a museum that houses a collection of artifacts from various tribes of North East India.
3. Mawlynnong village: Mawlynnong village is a cleanest village in Asia and is worth visiting for its scenic beauty and unique culture.
4. Ward's Lake: Ward's Lake is a picturesque artificial lake surrounded by gardens. It is a popular spot for picnics and photo-ops.
5. Shillong Peak: Shillong Peak is the highest point in Shillong and offers stunning views of the city and its surrounding hills.