Are you looking for the best destination for a quick getaway? Look no further than Gangtok! Whether you are an adventure enthusiast or just looking for some much-needed peace and quiet, Gangtok has something to offer everyone. Find out how to reach Gangtok, the best time to visit, things to do and places to visit with this comprehensive guide on Gangtok Tourism!
Gangtok is the capital of Sikkim and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. It is situated in the eastern Himalayan range at an altitude of 5,700 feet (1,700 m). The town offers a stunning view of the snow-capped peaks of Mt. Khangchendzonga and its ranges. Gangtok is also home to the Tsongmo Lake, which is a sacred lake for the Buddhists.
The best way to reach Gangtok is by air. The town has its own airport, which is located about 5 kilometers from the center of town. There are regular flights to and from Delhi, Kolkata, and Guwahati. You can also take a train to Siliguri, which is the nearest railway station. From there, you can take a bus or hire a taxi to reach Gangtok.
The best time to visit Gangtok is between October and June. The weather is pleasant during this period and the views are stunning. You can also enjoy the various festivals that take place in Gangtok during this time.
1. Visit the Rumtek Monastery: The Rumtek Monastery is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Gangtok. It is a beautiful monastery that was built in the 16th century and is home to many Buddhist monks. The monastery is open to visitors from all over the world and you can even participate in some of the religious ceremonies that take place here.
2. Take a cable car ride: One of the best ways to see the amazing scenery of Gangtok is by taking a cable car ride. There are several cable cars that operate in Gangtok and they will take you up to some of the highest points in the city. From here, you will be able to see stunning views of the Himalayan mountains, forests, and rivers.
3. Visit the Tsomgo Lake: The Tsomgo Lake is another must-visit attraction in Gangtok. The lake is located at an altitude of 12,400 feet and is considered to be one of the highest lakes in India. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and you can even go for a boat ride here.
4. Explore the Nathula Pass: The Nathula Pass is a high mountain pass that connects India with China. The pass is located at an altitude of 14,140 feet and it offers stunning views of the Himalayan mountains. You can even visit some of the Tibetan villages located near the pass.
5. Go trekking: Gangtok is also a great place to go trekking. There are several trekking trails in the area that will take you through some of the most beautiful landscapes and offer stunning views of the Himalayan mountains. You can even opt for guided treks if you want to explore the region with an experienced guide.
If you are planning to visit Gangtok, here are some of the best places that you can include in your itinerary:
1. Tsomgo Lake: Situated at an altitude of 12,400 ft, Tsomgo Lake is one of the major tourist attractions in Gangtok. The lake is known for its serene setting and the beautiful views it offers of the snow-capped mountains. You can also enjoy a yak ride or a cable car ride here.
2. Nathu La Pass: Located on the Indo-China border, Nathu La Pass is another must-visit place in Gangtok. The pass provides stunning views of the Himalayan range and is a popular spot for trekking and hiking. Do keep in mind that Indians need a special permit to visit this place.
3. Rumtek Monastery: Rumtek Monastery is one of the largest monasteries in Sikkim and is a major pilgrimage site for Buddhists. The monastery complex features several temples, stupas, and statues and is surrounded by beautifully manicured gardens. You can also attend one of the monks' prayers sessions here to get a taste of their religious life.
4. Ganesh Tok & Hanuman Tok: These two temples are located on top of a hill and offer breathtaking views of the valley below. Both temples are dedicated to Lord Ganesh and Lord Hanuman respectively and are visited by devotees from all over the world.
5. Ban Jhakri Falls: Ban Jhakri Falls is one of the most beautiful natural attractions in Gangtok. The falls cascades down a picturesque valley surrounded by lush greenery, making it a perfect spot to spend a relaxing evening. You can also enjoy some light trekking here.